Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Some awesome red dirt - Morehead, Millsap and Fulbright



So what exactly is red dirt music?  Americana? Alt country?  I really don't know but I went with a red dirt pic anyway.  I'm going with red dirt music is awesome music made by Oklahomans.  I have been amazed by three talented men from Oklahoma lately so I'm sharing them here.  Again... I know I shared Jon Fulbright before but he's still part of this club so I'm sharing him again. 



John Moreland is AMAZING!!! to me.  He is just so talented and his lyrics absolutely touch my heart.  I am a lyrics lover and there's always that moment of recognition in the songs.  The "I know that feeling" moment.  I will absolutely catch him the next time he is near funkytown.  I know his songs have been on Sons of Anarchy which I don't watch because I'm a wimp about violence but I'm glad that people are hearing his wonderful music.  I love the song Gospel and Nobody Gives A Damn About Songs Anymore.  I wonder if I can get 95.9 the Ranch to play him.  I guess I can always make some requests.  This music blog exists solely so I can pimp music I love.  I'm not a writer just a promoter of what I love.   This song is God's Medicine.


Parker Millsap so incredibly talented and he is ONLY 12!!! Okay not really.  That's when you know you're getting old when someone who is ten or fifteen years younger than you somehow becomes twelve, just a baby.  This song is called Truckstop Gospel.  I think I discovered him via the wonderful DJ extraordinaire Shayne Hollinger of 95.9 the Ranch.  Give him a listen, share his music with your friends.  Go see him if you get the chance.  Love him as I love him. 


John Fullbright is such a talented singer songwriter.  I believe he used to be part of the wonderful Turnpike Troubadours.  Nature conspired to keep me from a John Fullbright show last December at Live Oak in Fort Worth.  For some reason an ice stormageddon made  my friends abandon me.  I need fabulously skilled driver friends to make up for my lack of skill in the driving part.  Since I'm challenged on a sunny day, icy roads do not call me.  I kept hoping he would reschedule but nope, I guess the show went on without me.  I will catch him another time.   I believe he's at work on a new album and this song is called Moving. 








2 comments:

  1. I have heard these type of music before but didn't realize the genres...except country to me! Nice job teaching me something new Amy. Thx! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Donna there are so many difference between Nashville country and Texas/Red Dirt music. I think Nashville is just more slick and produced. Texas/Red Dirt is a little more raw and to me more heartfelt. We just need more females in the scene but there are some good ones getting airplay now. I think I need to do a female only post next.

    ReplyDelete