Sunday, December 1, 2013

Five Traditional Historical Christmas Songs

 



I love Christmas songs.  I love singing them.  I love listening to them.  This is my first Christmas song post but it won't be my last.  I wanted to post some more traditional and historical songs on this first post.  I added a bit about the history of the song and included a link to an article at the bottom.  Enjoy. 




Allison Krauss and Yoyo Ma - The Wexford Carol - She has the sweetest voice.

The Wexford Carol is a traditional religious Irish Christmas carol originating from county Wexford and dating to the 12th century.



Luciano Pavorotti - Cantique de Noel - I can't breathe when I listen to him sing this song. 

"O Holy Night" ("Cantique de Noël") is a well-known Christmas carol composed by Adolphe Adam in 1847 to the French poem "Minuit, Chrétiens" (Midnight, Christians) by Placide Cappeau.


 
The Huron Carol performed by Heather Dale in the original Wendat (Huron), French and English

The "Huron Carol" (or "'Twas in the Moon of Wintertime") is a Christmas hymn, written in 1643 by Jean de Brébeuf, a Christian missionary at Sainte-Marie among the Hurons in Canada. Brébeuf wrote the lyrics in the native language of the Huron/Wendat people; the song's original Huron title is "Jesous Ahatonhia" ("Jesus, he is born"). The song's melody is a traditional French folk song, "Une Jeune Pucelle" ("A Young Maid"). The well known English lyrics were written in 1926 by Jesse Edgar Middleton

I looked up this song after reading a Louise Penny Three Pines mystery.  I love those books

 
Stille Nacht performed by Il Volo


Silent Night - German Stille Nacht composed in 1818 by Franz Xaver Gruber to lyrics by Joseph Mohr
 
 
 
 
The Glee Cast - The First Noel
 
The First Noel is a traditional classical English carol, most likely from the 18th century, although possibly earlier.
 
 
 
 
When I was reading about the history of Christmas carols I enjoyed this article I found on slate.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment