Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Turnpike Troubadours at Billy Bob's Texas!



I have been loving Turnpike Troubadours more and more lately.  They were near the top of my list of bands and I HAD to see.  I was so glad to see that they were coming to Billy Bob's and I bought my ticket the day they went on sale.  That worked out fabulously because I was right at the front by the stage.  Awesomeness!  They didn't disappoint.  They are fun music and were great in concert.  I had a blast and what's always fun is when the band is obviously having a blast too.  Those musicians really work hard.  I think I would be wore out after three songs on that stage but they just kept going and played a long encore too.  Bonus Jamie Wilson of The Trisha's was a guest and sang their duet "Call a Spade a Spade".   It's always interesting to see the dynamics of a group when they perform.  The guitarist was playing for the first time with his new guitar and hugged the guy who brought it to him. 

So Billy Bob's as a venue.  I have mixed feelings.  It's huge, the world's largest honky tonk.  There is no smoking in the showroom.  There are tables with chairs.  I'm not sure that I'm a fan of the tables.  I like to be on my feet at a show sometimes.  Sometimes my feet hurt and I wish I could sit down.  Sometimes there is someone tall in front of me and I can't see.  Maybe I like to sit actually. lol.  The most annoying thing is when the other people at your table are up and down and up and down and up and down.  Still one of our neighbors felt bad about our calisthenics of letting people pass us and bought us a beer.  It's a late show.  The band didn't come on until after 10:30.  This wouldn't be such a big deal if I didn't have to work in the morning.  Oh how I would love to have a Monday through Friday job.  Late nights are part of seeing a club show.

So Turnpike Troubadours absolutely catch a show if you can. I will again say how much I love bands that you can sing along with their songs.  Long Hot Summer Day and Bosier City were both great sing a long songs. Whether you can catch a show or not absolutely listen to their music.  

Here's the set list.  I had to google search a few lyrics on songs I didn't know but I think I got it right.

  1.  Every Girl
  2. 1968 
  3. Encore:
  4. Whiskey in my Whiskey sung by the bass player
  5. (Alabama cover)
Here's a pic of me and my guy before the show. 
 
 

1 comment: