Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Head and The Heart at Southside Ballroom Dallas



Ach! Life is passing me by.  I saw The Head and the Heart on Friday night but kept waiting to write this up.  The best reviews are when it's super fresh.  This shall be my short and sweet concert review.


"Sounds Like Hallelujah" a song with interrupted cadence well more of change in tempo but awesomeness whatever you want to call it

The Head and the Heart is a folksy sounding band from Seattle.  I discovered them this past year and fell in love with the song "Lost in my Mind".  I think this is their most well known song and it was amazing live.  When I saw that they were coming to town, I immediately bought tickets.  It was a very young crowd and it sure seemed like a full house.  I have to put in my typical gripe about being too short for GA shows.  It really stinks not being able to see everything.  I guess the rule needs to be that I need to get to the venue early and claim a spot close to the stage.  I really think we should all line up like in grade school pictures with the short people in front and the tall people in back.  Then again I want to be with my tall man and we would be separated.  I guess that brilliant idea will not hold up. 

 
Lost in my Mind - amazing song from the first listen


The band opened with Shake, their first single from their new album which was recently released.  I think actually in November.  They followed with Homecoming Heroes which inspired a "fucking awesome batman" exclamation from my guy who really didn't know the Head and the Heart before we went to the show.  Their music can be unusual.  It doesn't always have the traditional verse chorus verse chorus structure.  I like any band that mixes it up and does things a little differently.  They also have some wonderful heartfelt lyrics.  The problem is that some of the slower, more mellow songs just aren't exciting live.  "Sounds like Hallelujah" was great live.  I don't think I heard Josh McBride which is my favorite song from the new album. 

 
Down in the Valley - I just love songs that build like this.


Here's a partial setlist.  I didn't get them all.

Shake
homecoming Heroes
Ghosts
10,000 Weight in Gold
Let's Be Still
Winter Song
Sounds like Hallelujah
Rivers and Roads
Honey Come Home
Down in the Valley


 The Shake
 
 
 
So The Head and the Heart is a band that I hope to hear much more from.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment