Monday, October 14, 2013

Little Green Cars at Live Oak



Such an incredibly, awesome show.  I'm so glad I got to be there.  Their opening was the best opening I've seen this year.  Little Green Cars is a band from Dublin, Ireland.  They're described as Americana because they have a bit of a folk influenced sound.  I guess we could go with indie alt description too. 


This was the song that they played for the open.  The curtains open to an empty stage.  No screaming "Hello Fort Worth, We're Little Green Cars".  Just an empty stage.  The band members come out and stand at the front of the stage without their instruments and sing this beautiful song a capella.  Such beautiful harmonies.  It really was an awesome opening.  They then go straight into the second song and though I love their music I was afraid they were going to be one of those bands that takes themselves too seriously.  You know the bands that think they artistes and perform without comment or enthusiasm.  Luckily as the night progressed I realized that I was so wrong about that.  I had to laugh at the bass player who came out wearing a jacket and with his hair combed back then he had his pretty woman rock and roll makeover moment and lost the jacket and started rocking out with the hair in his face.  The guitarist lost his bow tie as the night went on too which was funny but not as impressive. 

They have some very moving, quiet songs but they also have some very upbeat, danceable songs too.  One of my favorites follows, Big Red Dragon.



I think the most moving song was The Kitchen Floor.  Faye is a powerful, powerful vocalist.

 
The penultimate song was their biggest song and the first song I heard by this band, The John Wayne. 
 
 
 
For the John Wayne they invited the audience members onstage with them.  How much fun was that and something that's never happened at another show.  Then for their encore they joined the audience off the stage in the middle of the venue and sang "The Consequences of Not Sleeping".   They were literally right beside me.  Such a great show and a great reason why you need to go see live music.  It is so much more of an experience to see a live performance than to listen to the music at home.  You get to see them, their enthusiasm, hear them talk and tell stories about the songs.  I always come away with a new appreciation of the music after seeing the band live. 
 
The following is my  best attempt at a set list.  I didn't actually keep it at the show but tried to remember the next day which is never as good but it will have to do.  I know I'm missing some songs on here. 
 
Red
Angel Owl
Harper Lee
Big Red Dragon
The Kitchen Floor
My Love Took Me Down to the River (to Silence Me)
The John Wayne
The Consequences of Not Sleeping
 
 
 
I also wanted to add that the opening band The Days out of Denton did a good job.  They have a unique, retro sound.  I really enjoyed their show and hope they continue to grow.  Also a note that I love the venue of the Live Oak in Fort Worth.  I love to see a band in a small venue and it's even better when they get a decent turn out.  This was their first performance in Fort Worth and I hope they come back.  If you get a chance to see them, absolutely do it.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment