Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What makes a great cover?

 
 
 
My guy is on my Spotify account so being the super, sweet woman that I am I decided to listen to some tunes on Youtube.  I then discovered this fabulous cover of Kopecky Family Band playing "All You Do Is Talk"  by another one of my favorite bands BRMC.  Such awesomeness.  I would now like all my favorite bands to cover each other because it makes me so happy.  I really can't even remember if I wrote a post on covers but oh well if I did here's another one. 
 
So there was a time when I really didn't like covers at all.  I thought everyone should play their own music but then I heard some covers that blew me away.  Covers that change the mood, the tempo, the style, the feel of the song.  Some that were better than the original.  So now I'm a fan of covers though it's still embarrassing when I love a cover and DON'T EVEN KNOW IT'S A COVER.  Then I just have to pretend I knew but I feel like an idiot.  Oh well, it's still great to discover new and fabulous music even if you look stupid in the process.  Such as when KFB covered "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac at their show but I didn't know that until my friend told me.  KFB did a fabulous job on that cover and of course I had to go and listen to the original. 
 
So first up KFB's cover of BRMC.  Check it.   
 
 
 
 
Not better than the original but a great soft interpretation of Three Little Birds by The Postmarks orignally by Bob Marley, of course. 


 
Walking with a Ghost original by Teagan and Sarah covered by the White Stripes
 
 
 
 
Better Be Home by Kasey Chambers covering Crowded House Well I would have shared that song if youtube and blogger would cooperate for me but they aren't.  Good tune though.
 
 
Okay the my favorite version of Lay Lady Lay by Magnet and Gemma Hayes covering Bob Dylan.  I love the song but hate the video.  I suggest you listen to it with your eyes closed. 
 
 
 
Here is Glen Phillips covering Huey Lewis and the News "I Want a New Drug".  Unique cover.  Glen is the singer for Toad the Wet Sprocket.  Grrr that one won't load either but look it up and listen to it. 
 
Okay last one Karen O with Trent Reznor covering Led Zepelin's "Immigrant Song"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment