Thursday, April 4, 2013

It's not country...it's Texas Country!

I like mainstream country but LOVE Texas country.  My friend, Amanda Sue, gets lots of credit for turning me on to Texas Country.  She is a huge fan and as I've gone to more shows with her and listened to more music she sends me on Spotify, she's won me over to the Texas Country party.



So how is Texas country different from mainstream Nashville country, I'll give you my take.  Texas Country is more heartfelt, genuine, predominantly male, not always but usually a Texas born and raised artist.  I don't think you will ever hear a Texas country song cross over to the pop charts.  It's maybe not quite as polished.  There are Texas country artists that have gone on to mainstream such as Pat Green with Wave on Wave or the Eli Young Band but I say once you're Texas Country we won't ever stop claiming you.  If you live in DFW, 95.9 the Ranch is Texas Country.  Oh and for those who don't know Red Dirt is Texas Country's Oklahoma cousin.  Now the hard part is picking just a few songs to share with you. 


First up, Stoney LaRue.  He put on a great show and we were so close to the stage but we had some ridiculous drunk females who did their best to ruin our night.  They seemed to think that they were going to push their way in front of us, I don't think so! lol.  I believe we may have even inspired a comment from Stoney about how country shows don't ususally have a mosh pit. This is One Chord Song.

 
 
 
Wade Bowen - Saturday Night.  Before I went to see him at Billy Bob's, I could not stop singing this song.  To the point that my son would ask me "still? with this song?" I then just sing louder because I have to get pumped up for th show.  Jeesh.   My son thinks country music is all about complaining but heartbreak is part of the human experience.  This song is much more mellow in the acoustic version. 
 

 
 
Randy Rogers Bands - Kiss Me in the Dark.  A lovey dovey song to make me wish I had a love to kiss me in the dark.  "Let your skin talk to my soul"  -  I love that line.
 
 
 

I know that Kenny Chesney has done a cover of this song but you have to listen to and appreciate the original.  El Cerrito Place by Charlie Robison.  I think it's just has much more feeling.  It's the real deal to me. 
 
 




I have to add Mike Ryan, the Cold One, for my friend Amanda because he's her favorite.  I missed him the other night and Amanda has pics of him all hugging all over her.  No fair. 

Okay, more Texas country to come but that will do it for today.  For those who are new to Texas country, what do you think?  What do you think is different between Texas country and mainstream country?

No comments:

Post a Comment