Saturday, April 6, 2013

Quiet Company at the Live Oak, Fort Worth


I caught Quiet Company at the Live Oak in Fort Worth last night.  My musical crush on Taylor Muse continues to grow.  I adore his music and admire his lavish beard.  My top signs of a great show are if I can't be still and if I want to follow them to their next show.  I never get to follow them to their next show but I wish I could.  I think the entire band is great.  Jeff Weathers, Matt Parmenter, Cody Ackors and Thomas Blank, you are all fabulous.  This reminds me of  Almost Famous where the lead gets all the props and the rest of the band fades in the background. 

So I grabbed a new CD, which is actually an old CD that they improved, and a cutie cute T.  I think it's important to financially support musicians especially when they're not at the superstar multi-millionaire level.   I meant to go back for a poster but since I had to go to work this morning I just headed out after the show.  I'm really  hoping that they didn't come back on after I left.  They put on an amazing, very high energy show.  My only request would be that they play longer.  I also wish we could show them more love and just pack a place.  I think their music deserves more appreciation.  

Here's the setlist or my best efforts at a setlist.  I'm really not sure that they played the same song to open and close the show but somehow that's what I had written down.  Everyone thinks I'm bored at the show and playing on the phone but what I'm actually doing is keeping a setlist.  I only had one beverage so I'm assuming I got it mostly right. 

The Easy Confidence (What I would say to you now
You, Me & the Boatman (Truth is, I've been thirsty my whole life
Preaching to the Choir Invisible Part II (What do you think happens when we live?)
It's Better to Send Money
On Modern Men
Holland, 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel cover
Set Your Monster Free (My New Years Resolution is to Cope with my Morality)
The Easy Confidence (What I would say to you now)

This was my first time to the Live Oak and I really liked the venue.  We did have to park and walk a bit but that was fine.  I love that it was nonsmoking.  Smoke really bothers me.  I also thought it was a  nice size venue, a cool location on the near Southside/Magnolia area.  The above pic is not my pic and not from the show last night.  My pics were horrible so I grabbed one off the interwebs.  I do not know the photographer but they're greatly appreciated and I would be delighted to give credit where credit is due.  I'm glad that the trombone player is in the pic.  I love that they have a trombone player.  Horns make music better.  It just mixes it up when you add something that isn't the norm. 

So I wanted to say a word about the spiritual doubt portrayed in their We Are All Where We Belong album.  I do like that listening to these songs pushes me to think about my beliefs.  I had a hard time listening to some of these songs.  I am a questioner and a seeker of spiritual truth.  If I were an apostle, I would have been doubting Thomas.  I believe but I don't know.  I would like to know.  I would like to have absolute faith and certainty that what I believe is the right thing.  I question whether my beliefs are truly my own or if they are just what I was taught by my church, school and parents.  I had moments of thinking I shouldn't be listening to this band.  I had moments of  thinking I need to pray for Taylor Muse, that he finds his way back to God.  Then I realize that this is exactly what I had a problem with religions, the idea that MY way is the right way.  I have always had a problem with the idea of "believe what we do - or you'll go to hell."  I do believe that spirituality and religion are a personal journey.  I wasnt everyone to have beliefs that bring them peace and comfort.   Beliefs that make them happy, a better person and help them to love and serve others.   I only have a problem with other belief systems when its used as a justification to hurt others.  My simple beliefs, helping good, hurting bad.  I do absolutely believe in God.  I just worry that my belief isn't for God's benefit but for my own benefit.  I have had some very low lows and the belief that there is a plan and purpose was hugely comforting to me.  The idea of  "you meant it for evil but God meant it for good" gave me hope that my struggles were part of a bigger plan and a bump on the road to the good.  I love that this music is more than just a five minute distraction.  It's something with much more substance.  I'm interested to see what comes next from Quiet Company.  I also really wonder about the spiritual beliefs of the other band members. 

Quiet Company is an Austin band and they will be back in the area at the Dallas Homegrown Fest on May 11.  I won't be able to make it because I have a graduation to attend but I would love to see them again and encourage everyone to catch them if they can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment