Sunday, April 21, 2013

Justin Townes Earle and Untapped


My number one attraction at the Untapped Festival was Justin Townes Earle.  He did not disappoint.  JTE put on a great show.  Justin Townes Earle is from Nashville and plays country music but not the slick, over produced country that you hear on Nashville country radio.  JTE has something so genuine in him.  Plus he's just a cool cat.  He likes to explore different era's of music and has blues, soul and classic country influences.  He's very musically knowledgable and shares a bit of that knowledge pm stage.  He also played two new songs.  It always feels like a treat to me to hear something new.  His little stories on stage were entertaining.  He crammed a lot of music into a limited time slot. My favorite part of the show was when everyone sang along to Harlem River Blues.  Great tune.  Also there was an uber fan behind me and his excitement was epic.  And hey check it out, that is a photo from the event that I took with my very own phone.  My photo skills are improving. 

Set list:

Foolish Heart - a new song, I don't know if that will be the name but I'm going with it.
Look the Other Way
Maria
Move Over Mama
Ain't Glad I'm Leaving
Mama's Eyes
One More Night in Brooklyn
Ain't Waitin'
Single Mothers - another new song and he said this was the name
Am I That Lonely Tonight
Harlem River Blues
Midnight at the Movies
Black Eyed Suzy
Baby's Got a Bad Idea
Rogers Park
Can't Hardly Wait

So the rest of the festival.  When I arrived Skeleton Coast was on stage but I was more interested in checking out my surroundings and trying some beer than seeing them.  I never show enough love to my local bands because I always think I'll have another chance to see them.  THEN I find out that Skeleton Coast is taking a break after that event so I wish I would have prioritized catching them.  I did see the Orbans and feel bad for their singer because I know he's going to have a horrible sunburn today.  I dig the Orbans.  I would like to see them again and I'm looking forward to their new album. I heard a little of Tennis and Sarah Jaffe.  I prefer flat haired Sarah Jaffe to high haired Sarah Jaffe.  I dig Clementine but the new stuff isn't my thing.  Still props to her for trying something new.  Deer Tick is fun and really the perfect beer drinking music.  It's funny how the mood changes at a festival after dark.  I love their song The Bump, another great sing a long song.  The crowd also spontaneously broke out the Star Spangled Banner before Deer Tick took the stage. 

This festival is all about indie beer and indie music.  I'm not a beer afficionado.  If I drink beer, it's Shocktop, Blue Moon or Ruby Redbird.  Because this was a beer drinking event I had to try some new things.  I'm just not one for the strong, dark, bitter beer and definitely not for the beer that tasted like a pincone.  I did enjoy the Brooklyn Brewery Pale Ale #55 and Goose Island Matilda.  I had to drive so I didn't need to be drinking all kinds of beer anyway but I had a few little cups, seriously they were size of shot glasses.  You get a taste. 

So suggestions for the next Untapped.  Please, please, please, have more porta potties!!!! This is a beer drinking event.  It would really be awesome if you had separate girls and boys potties too.  That was absolutely the low point of the event when I had to use the restroom.  It was dirty.  There was no toilet paper.  The seat was wet!!!!   I'm hoping that was beer in the sink.  I did the hover thing but felt gross.  It was just super ick.  If you need to charge $5 more for ticket to provide more restrooms, do it!!!!   I also know that I don't know all the logistics but wish the festival had been set up on the lawn and not the pavement.  I also think it would be nice to be able to bring in lawn chairs or blankets. 

Still it was a good vibe and a fun night.  Beer drinkers are just fun people.  I made some new friends and listened to some great music.  I would also like to request that attractive Rockabilly guy quit smoking.  Unfortunately, that's a deal breaker for me. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment